Mayor Euille touches up the new paint job.
This Sunday, May 15th, is going to be yet another exciting big day at the Four Mile Run Farmers and Artisans Market because it will mark a major milestone in the revitalization efforts that 4MRMarket is proud to be a part of. This Sunday the City of Alexandria holds a Grand Opening Ceremony for the Four Mile Run Park and Community Building.
Mayor Euille and City Council will be on hand at 1pm to dedicate the renovated community building located at our market site, 4109 Mount Vernon Avenue, whether it's rain or shine. The building will be open for market goers to tour starting at 11am.
The City acquired the open space properties at 4109-4125 Mount Vernon Avenue including the former Duron Paint store building in 2007 and the activist group of architects, Architects Anonymous, donated their time to develop a plan to preserve the building through environmentally sustainable design. The newly renovated building will be open seasonally and will feature a new, large entrance and stage area on the north side, accessible restrooms, a small workroom, and a large open area that can be used for a variety of uses.
With the help of contractors Whiting Turner and Sherwin Williams/Duron Paint, who donated time and materials, as well as the volunteer efforts of a large number of citizens and local residents, the building and the surrounding spaces are now well on their way to begin fulfilling the visions of the improved Four Mile Run Park.
As usual, Four Mile Run Farmers and Artisans Market will be open Sundays from 8am to 1pm. And In conjunction with the grand opening of the building, 4MRMarket will officially mark the launch of SNAP/EBT for market purchases. In a collaborative project with the Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria and Inova Health System, SNAP participants will be now able to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables and other goods at the farmers market. As part of this project, Inova is sponsoring a "Double Dollar" program that doubles the first $10 SNAP participants spend at the market. 4MRMarket is the first farmers’ market in Northern Virginia to accept SNAP.
|Volunteers painting the building|
Come out and enjoy the fresh, local produce, baked goods, grass-fed beef, heritage chicken eggs, and a host of other goodies. Here is who you'll find at 4MRMarket this Sunday:
- The Stifler Beef Farm aka "What's For Dinner Now" (Shenandoah) - Natural, locally farm-raised black Angus beef (flash frozen for convenience).
- Pleitez Produce (Northern Neck) - A full range of locally grown produce, herbs, and more.
- Herban Avenues at AHHA Ranch (Lovettsville, VA) - Herbal remedies, heritage breed chicken eggs, and a variety of herbs.
- Patowmack Farm (Lovettsville, VA) - Organic value added products plus baked goods, fresh lemonade, and more.
- Bread and Chocolate (Arlandria) - A range of baked goods.
- C&T Produce (White Oak, VA) - Locally grown produce.
- St. Elmo's Coffee Pub (Del Ray) - Brewed coffee, tea, and a few extra goodies.
- VéloCity Bike Co-op (Old Town) - Bike repair (see below).
- Tom's Amish Cheese Store (Lancaster, PA)
Please support your volunteer-run neighborhood farmers market. We can't do it without neighborhood support! Also, volunteers are always welcome to help find musicians to play the market and to help book the community tent with City agencies, non-profits, etc.